Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Underrated Classical Musicians: 3/3/20

On this last day of our first "underrated works by rated composers 'festival'", we'll do Dvorak, whose music I love ever more and more and more. Some composers, even great ones like Wagner and Stravinsky, can be cold of heart, they do not soothe the soul, they inflame it. But Dvorak is so warm and open of heart that his music can never cease to be a welcome presence. If I had to listen to one composer's chamber music for the rest of my life, I'd miss Schubert very much, but I would not hesitate to pick him. If I had to listen to one piece of chamber music for the rest of my life, I would probably pick the Dumky Trio (which ends with a theme that John Williams shamelessly appropriated for the main theme of ET). 




Everybody who goes regularly to classical concerts knows the 'American Quartet,' but you have to be pretty advanced before you know about the 'American Quintet.' Both of them were written during Dvorak's time in America when he headed the first American conservatory. This was also the period when Dvorak wrote his two most famous works, the 'New World Symphony' and the Cello Concerto. I think the American Quintet is worthy to stand alongside them. 
Not that any comparison is necessary, but I think it's probably the better of the two works. All I can say is that it's just so beautiful, from first bar to last. I'll get out of the way and let you listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment