Thursday, January 6, 2011

If I Forget Thee, Oh Babe's...

This alone could convince me to move back to DC...or at least Silver Spring...

Babe's Billiards was the greatest hangout spot any of us had ever seen in all our DC years, and it was all just a two-minute walk away from the AU shuttle. To this day, I don't think memories of any place could make me quite so nostalgic (not Brickskellar, not Yenching Palace, not even Krupin's...). Good cheap booze, good cheap food, a pool-hall and a dozen TV's on at any given time. Halfway through my senior year of college, it was senselessly shut down by Cy Katzen and AU, who bought the property and evicted Babe's. It was probably done as part of a plan to help build AU's reputation as a serious school (dream on). But the excuse given was that it was supposedly shut down to make way for apartment buildings which to this day have never been built. For five years virtually everyone I keep in touch with from college has mourned the loss of Babe's. Even if I don't move back, it's nice to know that Babe's will be there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment