Tuesday, December 31, 2019

When Facebook Becomes Blogging

So Pooja Ghosh asked me to do 7 days of posting my favorite books by their covers. It's too much work over too long a period on a page that already clutters people's feeds all the time, but I will list them:
1. Collected Short Stories of Isaac Bashevis Singer
2. Eugene Onegin by Aleksandr Pushkin
3. Collected Plays of Anton Chekhov
4. A Tale of Love and Darkness by Amos Oz
5. Midaq Alley by Naguib Mahfouz
6. Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman
7. The Brothers Ashkenazi by Israel Joshua Singer
A Second Seven:
1. King Lear
2. The Book of Ecclesiastes
3. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
4. Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth
5. The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow
6. The Book of Genesis
7. Romeo and Juliet 
A Non-Fiction Seven
1. The Vital Center: The Politics of Freedom by Arthur Schlesinger
2. Essays by Michel de Montaigne
3. The True Believer by Eric Hoffer
4. Power and the Idealists by Paul Berman
5. Four Essays on Liberty by Isaiah Berlin
6. A Cultural History of the Modern Age by Egon Friedell
7. Jerusalem by Amos Elon
A Further Nine to Even Out the Numbers
1. Chess Story by Stefan Zweig
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
3. I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal
4. Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
5. Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
6. Saturday by Ian McEwan
1. The Prince by Nicolo Machiavelli
2. Cultural Amnesia by Clive James
3. The Big Con by Jonathan Chait
As I do this, I realize, holy shit, I've finished so many less books than I think I have...

No comments:

Post a Comment