Friday, April 2, 2021

Tale 3, Letter 1

 Dear Yaakov,

I really wish you would answer my letters more often than once every eighteen months. Your brother just wants to know that you’re doing OK and that your family is too. It would really be a help to not let me worry like this. I have to say, sometimes I still think that you think I secretly hate you but I keep telling you the same thing: we were young, we didn’t know what we were doing, and the real problem was Mom and Dad who should never have played us off each other I wish I thought you believed me and I know we thought we were going to kill each other for years even before the feud but like I keep saying, it was lonely all those years without you and it was so great to have you back in Canaan, I just wish we saw each other more often. Sorry to be so dramatic but that's how I feel.
Anyhow, getting House of Esav off the ground is no Lag B’Omer picnic. I don’t know how Zaydie did all this without going crazy…. But just so you know I’ve got a big piece of news. Eliphaz has a son now: Korah, named after our kid you never had a chance to meet. He is incredibly cute and of course was born with a full head of red hair… I expect it will only be three years before we include him on our season ticket plan for the Petra Selahs. I’ve said this to you before but you would love stoneball, the game has so many statistics and records, so much history, and the commissioner just issued an edict that Israelites can own teams - I don’t suppose you’d be interested in a sports investment…….Would you?
Eliphaz thinks our hunting business can vastly expand if we move into bounty hunting so once my grandson is thirty or forty I’m going to pay for him to go to school to become a bounty hunter. I think it’s a waste of money but as I’m sure you remember he was always so eager to do what I told him, so this gives him something of his own to be passionate about.
The kids all say hi. Reuel is getting pretty loopy with his new religion and keeps talking about going to Midian to study how to be a priest for Baal. If Dad could see what’s happening to Reuel he’d go blind... Yeush is a big help with everything, always happy to do whatever we need; cleaning stables, watching sheep, gutting the animals we bring back, he’s just a very nice kid.
Anyway, aside from the news that I’m now a Zaydie I‘ve got no reason more urgent than that to write this letter, I just thought you might be interested to know what your nephews were up to and want to check on you and make sure you’re doing OK.
Love,
Esav

No comments:

Post a Comment