Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Evan Articulates Fears Beneath the Fold

 I realize I'm a broken record of pessimism, but I'm terrified of this plague being done. On a personal level, sure, I doubt my natural paranoia is ready to handle the anxiety of going back into socialization, but more globally, I cannot imagine us coming out of all this being anything but a turbo version of what we were going in. A healthy civilization is unified by crisis and makes us forgive each other's differences because the common humanity is too important. But none of us, myself included, feel anything but blinding rage at people who disagree with us. And it's not just here, it's all around the Western world, and meanwhile, there are two extremely powerful dictatorships trying to make their entire citizenry as obsessed with their national humiliations as any Trump rally. I'm scared for me, sure, but I'm scared for us all, I'm scared of the world we've created, I'm scared of how it can impact people we love.

I really just want to eat a corned beef sandwich and drink scotch, but both of those may never happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment