Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Voweled Words

 It doesn't feel like two weeks since I set pen to keyboard. In fact it feels like two days ago. Nerve and morale are things you either feel or don't, and lately I've felt a complete lack of it, but the result of not writing is a mind that goes to seed. There's a reason I maniacally graphed my way through my thirties, and it's because without the words, there were just racing thoughts, and if the thoughts didn't focus on a subject, they always loomed on me, and only dread ever came out of that.


I have no thoughts that will endear me to anybody. I am growing more and more alarmed by Israel, but I have no faith in any righteousness in the Palestinian cause until getting rid of Hamas becomes a larger priority than getting rid of Israel.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see a way out of Israel simultaneously becoming both an isolated international pariah and an authoritarian state where a semi-permanent narrow coalition holds together a state that grows asymptotically close to that dreaded a-word... I'm not going to say it because I don't want to stir the pot that badly.

We are heading to that critical moment when Israel's Arab population is larger than its Jewish. When we hit that moment, Israel no longer has legitimacy as a Jewish state. Period.

The only way it can become a Jewish state again is through ethnic cleansing, the forced deportation of Palestinians to... who even knows where... believe it or not there are worse fates than ethnic cleansing, does anybody really think it's doing Palestinians any good to stay in Gaza? But who in their right mind can support with any enthusiasm a state so morally compromised that it deports longstanding populations with impunity? Again?

My support of Israel is unshaken, but my belief in Israel is getting very thin. No liberal can believe in a country that has a far right government in near-perpetuity, whether elected or imposed.

I'm not so naive to believe that the world can't support all manner of dictatorships, but my support of Israel draws ever closer to becoming the support of an authoritarian state. I'm beginning to view it as a partnership of convenience little different than support of Saudi Arabia. I obviously see the necessity of heavy operations in Gaza, I can even be convinced of the necessity of Rafah, but the longer this war goes, the less convinced I get.
All reactions:

No comments:

Post a Comment