Sunday, December 12, 2010

All'ungherese



I played second violin for this piece at my first paying musician's gig when I was twelve years old, not that I ever had all that many of them... (an Audobon Society dinner in Montgomery County in case anybody's curious...which I thought was kind of awesome because a year earlier we read The Trumpet of the Swan in school.). I don't remember ever being more excited about a piece of music I was playing, now I can only look back and say: Really Evan? Glazunov? For those who are (again) curious, Glazunov is that historical missing link between Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky that nobody plays anymore and is now most famous for writing enormous amounts of decent music while being three sheets to the wind. But in the middle of all that generic stuff, he did occasionally write some really wonderful music. Here's another sample of the top shelf:

No comments:

Post a Comment