Monday, December 20, 2010

Baaach Baaach



This is enough to make a certain kind of Bach nerd do something in his/her pants:


This is not for the feint of Bach, like all (pseudo?) academic articles it's easy to get lost in the jargon. I get skeptical about these portrayals of Bach as the ultimate musical scientist. The B-Minor Mass is a fantastic but problematic work (there, I said it). Like a lot of Baroque music, it's one damned thing after the other. Many of the movements are perfect in of themselves, but I can't help it if I think it comprises a monotonous whole. This makes about as good a case that Bach has as god-like a power of creating musical form as any human is capable of having.

I'm really a bad Bach lover...

....and I should be reading about Indonesia right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment