Thursday, June 11, 2020

When Facebook Becomes Blogging



I was, at very least, pretty pissed off about Tom Cotton getting space in the New York Times, and anybody who is madder at the Times Op-Ed board for giving into leftist pressure than what's currently going on in the streets is obviously someone who let us get into this mess in the first place. But people who believe that journalism and scholarship are the same as political advocacy are only political allies of liberals at this particular, extremely ephemeral moment, and soon enough they're going to be coming for us just like they are for the Trumpkins currently. Everybody who believes that people's ability to get a platform to express themselves is subordinate to having the correct political affiliations knows exactly who they are, and that belief takes so many different insidious forms that it's fruitless to try document them all. One day, sooner rather than later, they will try with all their might to kill off liberalism just like they're trying to conservatism, which they see as indistinct from each other. We are a country at cold war that is in grave danger of turning hot, and the war will in no sense be over once Trump and the authoritarian right is beaten. Once they can, they're planning on giving us the option to either convert or get the sword. It's probably a metaphorical 'cancel-sword' rather than anything literal, but who can be sure? And whatever form that sword takes, I'll gladly take the sword fuck you very much. But if or when that comes and I'm either thrown out of my tiny corners of facebook or blogs or get a couple weeks in jail for something I write or get beaten up by some person even crazier than me in the street, I'm sure that a hundred people who currently think of me at least as friendly acquaintances will cheer it all on and say I had exactly that coming, and it all will probably be for some trivial offhand sentence or action, and for an instant that moment will get me all the thousands of readers I never otherwise had.

No comments:

Post a Comment