Friday, July 10, 2020

When Facebook Becomes Blogging



Multiple friends and family have been telling me for a while that thinking like this is apocalyptic, and that I indulge in it all too frequently. I don't think anything I've said is particularly apocalyptic. It's just repeating the facts of the trials every civilization in history has undergone until now, and it would be foolish to think us exempt. I wouldn't even say that the coming trials are going to be as bad as in this article. But I do believe civil institutions will be tested on an unprecedented scale in our generation, and unprecedented in American history, very much including in the Civil War. You only have a good future if you provide for one, and we obviously haven't. All the concerns of today: medicare for all, social security reform, police reform, robust national defense, more equitable representation, even democracy itself, what does all that mean when the planet regularly washes away millions of people in a day?

No comments:

Post a Comment