Friday, September 6, 2024

TCP: Shimon of Jamnia - Beginning

Shammai: You commanded me to audience majesty?

Herod: Yes, have a seat. 

Shammai: I presume this is about oaths? 

Herod: Of course it is. Six thousand of your followers refuse to take the loyalty oath. Are you really that stupid?

Shammai: I can't be responsible for those who don't take your oath.

Herod: Of course you're responsible for it! Pharisees who abide by the strictest legal interpretations refuse to take the oath. 

Shammai: Am I the Pharisees' keeper?

Herod: Well it's not like these guys have much respect for Rav Hillel. 

Shammai: They don't know him as we do. 

Herod: You know what I mean. They don't follow Rav Hillel's rulings. 

Shammai: So?

Herod: Their legal book was written by someone named Shimon of Jamnia. 

Shammai: Is your majesty implying something?

Herod: Do you think I'm stupid? 

Shammai: Anything but, majesty. 

Herod: You think Rav Hillel is stupid?

Shammai: Is what I think of Rav Hillel the matter of discussion?

Herod: If you're going to publish your own rulings separate from the court you can at least do it under a name that doesn't sound like Shammai of Yavneh. 

Shammai: Well if Majesty is so curious, he should know that yes, I have sometimes written under the name Shimon of Jamnia, but never since I was summoned to become the Sanhedrin's chief justice. 

Herod: Well, Shimon of Jamnia is surely aware that I could have you charged with perjury. Tribe of Reuben vs. Hezekiah, Yahya vs. Binyamin, these are cases the Sanhedrin heard after your arrival. 

Shammai: I have not perjured myself. Shimon of Jamnia is a name that many rabbis have used. 

Herod: Oh you're good. You're as good as Hillel. It's a shame we couldn't work together. 

Shammai: We do work together! 

Herod: We work against each other. I mean work together. 

Shammai: If your majesty means what I...

Herod: Rav Hillel is weak, you know it as well as I do, I need a rabbi of iron.


----------------------------------------------------------------


Shammai: Surely the king is not so vengeful as to kill six thousand men just because their highest loyalty is to Hashem. 

Herod: I've done worse, but no. I'm not that vengeful, though I can make them wish they were dead. 

Shammai: Your majesty might consider that such behavior is why they refuse to take the oath. 

Herod: Oh I'm well aware of why they don't take the oath Rebbe, but since I'm so hated, I have to ensure rule of law somehow. 

Shammai: You might 

No comments:

Post a Comment